Translate

Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 2 on hold...

Today I really have been battling with my pre-PMS-eat-everything-in-sight-until-I-finally-consume-something-that-satiates-me. My doctor says it is in fact serious: I seriously eat a lot, I seriously yell a lot and I seriously have cramps that make me wish I could bite the head off of a bat.
 Not the animation you expected was it? MUAHAHHAA
Anywho. I have the best thing that will satiate your need to kill your significant other with a large rock given to you by a rock star with aphasia. Made up, with a handful of ingredients, by my husband which is notably safe tonight for making me these >:}

I started today by making popovers in my new popover pan that I received today. They are SO easy that my 3 year old basically made them I just helped with the dangerous stuff.

Popovers

1 Cup and 3 Tblsp. All-Purpose Flour
2 Eggs (room temperature, I.E. let sit out on the counter for 30 minutes)
1 Cup of Whole Milk (room temperature)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tblsp. unsalted (melted and cooled) and 1 tsp. (unless you have non-stick) unsalted room temperature butter to grease the wells.

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Grease a 6-cup popover pan with the 1 teaspoon of butter.

Combine the 1 tablespoon of butter, the flour, salt, eggs and milk in a food processor or blender and process for 30 seconds.

Divide the batter evenly among the cups of the popover pan, filling each one-third to one-half full. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 40 minutes, taking care not to open the oven door. Remove the popovers to a cooling rack and pierce each one in the top with a knife to allow steam to escape. 
I will not take credit for the popover recipe. I gotta give credit to Alton Brown on Good Eats and here's the link in case you want to see: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/basic-popovers-recipe/index.html
 
Now I am proud to introduce the Matryoshka!
 
You will need:
 
Popovers, caramel syrup and/or chocolate syrup, vanilla bean ice cream, maraschino cherries and whipped cream.
 
With a serrated bread knife cut the puffy top off without crushing the well (the empty space within the popover) and clean out any 'hymen' blocking the well on either side.
 
 
Drizzle caramel syrup (optional but highly recommended) in the well and top with vanilla bean ice cream to the top gently stuffing it into it.

Place cherry(ies) on top.
Take other side of Popover and drizzle it with chocolate syrup (optional but highly recommended) and fill that baby up with whipped cream.
Then gently squish those together, like mid-twenties lovers with some privacy, and v'iola! Cream puff for one hand and an ice cream cone for the other.

I was so surprised how much better the "ice cream cone" was than the famous fast food restaurant's ice cream cone where you basically only eat the cone because you can't lick the ice cream out of the overly dry, moisture sucking cardboard carrier or because you don't readily have a place to throw it away because your in the car.

This wonderfully sinful sweet and a tad salty, little ditty has a whopping 424 calories but it will satisfy your nightly hording of the kitchen during that week where nothing can satiate you and you end up eating way more than that in cals anyways. Or on a hot summer BBQ where the kids are running around and they won't stop EATING EVERYTHING because they are now burning calories just breathing.

Yes ladies, your welcome!

Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment